The Best Rhinoplasty Recovery Tips
After nasal surgery of any kind, the hardest part is usually over the first 2-4 days. Swelling and bruising often occurs, as well as nasal congestion and facial pressure. Our office provides a lot of support during those first days, with information/preparation and medications.
Rhinoplasty Recovery Tips
Typically we recommend the following treatments for all post operative nasal patients:
- Nasal sprays: Both saline nasal spray to keep things moist and decongestant spray (Afrin or Neosynephrine) to help keep the nasal airway open.
- Ointments on incision lines to allow quicker healing and steroid cream to decrease inflammation.
- Arnica and Bromelain caplets to help reduce bruising amount and decrease duration of bruising.
- Low dose steroid pills that provide an anti-inflammatory effect, decreasing swelling.
- Ice packs for the eyes and cheeks to help prevent swelling.
On a practical level, patients should sleep with their head elevated and limit their activity levels for the first 3-5 days as well.
What to Eat After Your Rhinoplasty
On a broader scale, healthy patients heal faster. That’s definitely true in most cases. We try to encourage good nutrition before and after surgery and will employ the assistance of a nutritionist upon patient request. Otherwise, patients should eat a diet that contains a high level of antioxidants (Berries, Figs, Wild Honey), vitamin C and E, plain yogurt for protein, and lots and lots of water to stay well hydrated. We provide patients with a list of particular foods prepared by Keri Glassman, the founder of Nutritious Life, who is a well known and respected Nutritionist in New York City. When patients follow these recommendations, it is our experience that they heal faster and look better sooner than average patients.